I’ve wanted to do a tutorial on a lip scrub for a while. It wasn’t until around five years ago that I realized lip scrubs existed. I suffer from bizarrely chapped lips, even products that are meant to moisturize can turn my lips peeling and puckered. For that reason, I don’t use lipstick too much because it just ends up looking like shit within an hour or two. Because of my bad luck in beauty, I’ve been diligent over the past couple of years about finding beauty products and solutions that work for my skin, budget, and lifestyle. This lip and body scrub DIY will demonstrate to you the basics of creating a delicious, fragrant, and natural beauty product for your friends and family.
Lip and Body Scrub DIY
Exfoliating Lip Scrub
I’m absolutely in love with the sweet citrus and cardamom notes that come from both of these scrubs. When I used the lip scrub for the first time, I was immediately transported back to Bali in my mind. There’s something about the combination of fragrances and flavors that are truly tropical and luxurious. I’m obsessed with this lip and body scrub DIY—I might even develop a lip balm for my upcoming online shop.
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (or sugar in the raw)
- 1+ tbsp. coconut oil or honey/ agave
- 5 drops lime essential oil
- 1-2 drops vanilla oil or extract
- A pinch of cardamom spice
- Combine your sugar with your oil or honey/ agave. Combine well until the mixture is a paste
- Add the essential oils and spices to the mix. Mix well
- Bottle your delicious lip scrub in a glass or plastic container. If you’re trying the recipe as a gift option, you can get cute bottles in bulk on Amazon.
This lip scrub is so delicious and edible! To use: apply a small amount to lips, rubbing around to exfoliate, and lick away excess.
Face and Body Scrub
One of my favorite parts about this face and body scrub is that it reuses used coffee grounds. This is an excellent way to repurpose household items to make sure you’re less wasteful, and you’ll get a luxury product out of it that smells divine! Used coffee grounds already have so many practical uses in and around the home, but bath and beauty products are great! The coffee helps to wake you up as it invigorates your senses while the lime oil energizes as it’s astringent qualities cleanse.
**I don’t recommend using your used coffee grounds if you have low-quality coffee in the house (the worst part of waking up is a bad cup of coffee and the breakout it caused your face after using it in a scrub recipe).
- 1/2 cup used coffee grounds, pressed to get rid of excess moisture
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 10 drops lime essential oil
- 1/4 tsp. cardamom
- Combine your used coffee grounds with your coconut oil. Work together until a paste begins to form
- Add your essential oils and spices while stirring together
- Bottle your scrub and gift/ use accordingly